Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Home-made Dog Treats

So, I wanted to share with you this recipe I tried out last night to make home made dog treats, and I tried to take pictures, but my camera died.  My backup camera died.  So not my first camera, the one I took on our honeymoon that died in the middle of it.  Not that one.  The back-up.  The one I had to pull out of the back of a desk somewhere and change the batteries every two hours.  That one.  Dead.  Changed the batteries again and everything. Dead as a doornail.  (I learned where that expression came from once, but I forgot.)  So instead of my own beautiful photos, here's a picture of a cute puppy.  You're welcome.


Anywhosie, here's the sweet recipe I sort of referenced earlier, it's so easy!
  • 2 1/2 Cups flour (they're going to call for whole wheat or something healthy like that, but who are we kidding? You have regular flour in your cabinet just like me)
  • Garlic Powder (I don't measure, I use my gut)
  • 1/2 Cup Milk
  • 1 Large Egg Beaten
  • 2 Tsp. Flavoring (Chicken or Beef Broth, Liquid from can of Tuna, etc.) Note: you will need more than 2 tsps.
I used my beautiful apple green mixer with the dough hook attachment for this and it worked awesome! (Thanks Mom and Behne Family!!) Combine the flour and garlic power.  Begin mixing and adding the wet ingredients.  The dough is really tough, so you'll want to add more flavoring until it gets loose enough to work with.  It's also very elastic, so rolling it out was difficult.  Like stand on your toes to put all your weight onto the rolling pin and it still springs back into a ball, rubbery.  Eventually you can roll it out into about 1/4 inch thickness.  I of course used my bone shaped cookie cutter, but I'm also thinking of making them into candy bar shapes and making funny wrappers to look like candy bars.  But it's not, it's a dog treat, get it?! ha! ...anyways, bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Voila! I made my batches chicken flavored and Harley approved. It's obviously more work making these, but super cheap ingredients you've got laying around anyways!

Bone Appetite!
(I crack myself up!...)


No comments:

Post a Comment